In 1704 Thomas Teale the parish clerk was appointed to teach twelve children in the chantry of St Peter’s Church, Raunds. The funding for running the class was provided for by a legacy of £100 left in the will of Catherine Pepys. Classes continued to be held in St Peter’s chantry for 155 years, although the school was not referred to as St Peter’s back then. After being reorganized in 1823 under the national system, it was simply known as the ‘National School’.
The school moved into a purpose built building in 1859 which was sited on the corner of Manor Street and High Street. The cost of this new school was approximately £1400.
With the opening of Council schools in Raunds around 1914, the school then became known as the ‘Church of England School’. It was not until the year 1981 that the school adopted the name of ‘St Peter’s C of E Junior School’.
After 133 years of service the school had gradually been outgrown. The huge increase in motorised traffic (which wasn’t around when it was built) and the location on a busy junction meant that it also became quite dangerous for children entering and leaving the school. The school closed 13th February 1992.
The present school building in Mountbatten Way has been in use since February 1992 and was officially opened by the Bishop of Peterborough on Tuesday 9 June 1992. The Headteacher, Mr David Rockley relocated staff and pupils from the old school and served as Head until his retirement in December 2001.
In November 2013 the school converted to an academy under the sponsorship of Manor Learning Trust and is now known as St Peter’s Church of England Academy.
|Title||Name/Initial||Surname||Year Started||Year Finished|
|Miss||F V W||Darby||1917||1918|